Day 1:Moshi to Marangu Gate (1800 m) by car and trek to Mandara Hut (2720 m).
We will embark on the one hour drive to Marangu Gate. There, you will complete the park formalities at the entrance of the Kilimanjaro national park, and we will start our trek for about 3 hours through the rain forest, until we reach Mandara Hut which is 2720 m high. We will stay overnight at Mandara hut.
Day 2:Mandara Hut to Horombo Hut; Altitude reached: 3720 m; Habitat: Rain forest- Moorland
On this day, the first part of the walk is steep and through the rain forest, but then, the path opens into a moorland. You have fantastic views of Kibo and Mawenzi peaks if the weather permits. We arrive at Horombo in the afternoon, have your lunch and rest around the camp, enjoying the scenery. The trek takes 4-5 hours.
Day 3:Horombo to Kibo; Altitude reached: 4704 m; Habitat: Vegetation Moorland and Desert.
We hike between Kibo and Mawenzi for about 4 to 5 hours. The rest of the time, we spend resting in preparation for the last ascent to the peak that starts around midnight.
Day 4:Kibo Hut to Uhuru Peak; Altitude reached: 5895 m, Horombo Hut: 3720 m.
You will get up half an hour before midnight and have some tea and biscuits. This is where the hike gets a bit challenging. The first path consists of a rocky track to the Hans Meyer cave at 5150 m; we will then take a zigzag path to Gilman’s point at 5681 m. From Gilman’s point, you will probably experience snow all the way to the Uhuru peak (the highest point in Africa). You made it! Weather conditions will determine how long you can spend on the summit, taking pictures before the 3 hour descent back to Kibo Hut, where you will have a short rest, collect all your things and descend to Horombohut for your overnight stay; this will take around 3 hours. In the evening, you will enjoy your last dinner on the mountain and a good rest.
Day 5:Horombo hut to Marangu Gate After breakfast
We continue our descent down, passing Mandara Hut to Marangu Gate. At Marangu gate, the successful climbers will get their certificates. We advise that tips should be given when all the porters and guides are together and when all your gears have reached the gate. You will have a driver waiting for you at the gate after you have signed out. You will then drive to your accommodation in Moshi for a long overdue hot shower and celebrations.
What included in this tour
Items that are covered in the cost of tour price.
- 2 Nights’ accommodation in Moshi or Arusha included
- All transfers to the mountain and back to your Moshi hotel
- Professional, experienced, mountain guides
- Guides, Porters, cook salaries and park fees
- Quality, waterproof, four seasons private mountain sleeping tents
- Sleeping Mattress
- All meals while on the mountain
- Quality mess tents with table and chairs
- Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
- Clean purified drinking water
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Kilimanjaro National Park Entrance fees
- All Government taxes and levies including 18% VAT.
- Community Development Fund
- Conservation Fund
- Tips to mountain crew
- Items of a personal nature
- Laundry Services
- Entry visa for Tanzania
- Personal trekking equipment such as sleeping bags, hiking boots, clothes etc. (available for renting)