In 1893, Lloyd Mathews built the prison. The prison idea was to send violent criminals from the Tanganyika mainland to the Prison Island. The Prison Island Earning its name as a former prison for slaves and a quarantine station for Zanzibar and the mainland, nowadays the island gives you the chance to escape for some peace and quiet. The island lies just off the Old Stone Town, it is also a home to giant land tortoises that were imported from Seychelles in the late 19th century. Now it is more commonly known as a home of Zanzibar’s Giant Aldabran Tortoise colony, some of which are over a hundred years old! This endangered species came to Zanzibar as a gift from the government of the Seychelles.
Once on the island, you have the opportunity to feed and pet the tortoises, if you have time you may also like to take a stroll through the forested interior where you will see a wide variety of birds, colorful peacocks, bats, and beautiful butterflies. Keep your eyes peeled too for the shy and elusive Duikers – an unusual tiny antelope species. It is fringed with a beautiful coral reef, ideal for snorkeling, and has a lovely white beach for sunbathing. This tour is a great way to see some history and wildlife, and also to see Stone Town from the sea as many old maritime legends would have done.
- Tour Duration 5 hours 10 minutes (Approx.)
- Tour starting Times: Morning Times: 9am – 2:30pm.
- Pickup optional: Pickup from your beach hotel anywhere in Zanzibar.
- Pick up and drop off from your Hotel
- Experienced Professional Tour guide
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Entrances fees
- Private Boat
PRICE FOR PRISON ISLAND BOAT TRIP
|Group size||1Pax||2Pax||3Pax||4Pax +|
|price per person||80$||70$||50$||40$|
- Book with 20% deposit, pay rest on your trip date, When you confirm your trip, we will charges your credit card a 20% deposit to guarantee your reservation.
- Deposit non-refundable You may only cancel free of charge in the event of unsafe weather conditions, extenuating circumstances, or change the date(s) of your booking.